First launched on the 26th of November in 2011, Nintendo Switch was a gameplay console product from Japan. Soon enough, Japan decided to drop its price, which caused a huge demand for Nintendo Switch. It was then in 2010 that their first-ever 3Ds console was launched. However, even after all these years, the price cannot be called ‘affordable’ for most people. It still comes at a massive amount of INR 27000 to 29000, depending on the seller, and if you think that the console is slightly on the unaffordable side for you, but you still cannot get over the 3Ds games, this article is for you.
What are Nintendo games known for?
The Nintendo 3Ds games are known around the world today. Although it is most known for its console, which can easily be called the best globally, their 3Ds games are no less. Gamers are crazy about them, and with the growing popularity, more and more people are just adding to the bunch.
If you are a lover of these games too but cannot afford a console, don’t worry, for you do not have to buy a console to play these games. The world of emulators is taking huge leaps in all domains. Today, we have various Nintendo switch 3Ds games’ emulators available on the internet to choose from. These emulators can duplicate the graphics of the console on your Personal Computer or your Android Phone. It might not give you the feel of a console entirely, but the controls are pretty smooth, and the resolution of graphics can be higher, especially on a computer. If you are still with us, here goes the list of the best Nintendo 3Ds emulators available today for PC and Android phones, in no particular order.
Best Nintendo 3Ds emulators for PC
- Citra: Citra has gain recognition as the best 3Ds emulator. Owing to its open-source platform, it is completely reliable and constantly updated by the developers. It has also not failed to gain popularity for its reliability. Citra is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. It offers you most console features with a very simple User Interface, which makes it suitable for everyone at the consumer level. Citra, in its rudimentary stage, did not have a front-end to work with. So, it required gamers to know how to work with the command-line. However, today it has one of the simplest UI and can be worked on pretty easily. Another impressive feature of Citra is that it comes with ROM pre-installed. An important point to keep in mind is that Citra will not work on your PC if it does not have a graphics card that at the least supports OpenGL 3.3. Completely free of cost.
- 3DMOO: This software was under development around 2014, but the development process was stopped suddenly, which left it to operate on the command line only. Although the emulator is not available officially today, the source code files can be downloaded from Github. Owing to the extreme sporadic crashes you might witness, this cannot be called the best emulator out there. However, it is compatible with Windows and Linux but not Mac Operating Systems. Downloading and installing can be a hassle if you do not have prior experience with the command line on your computer.
- R43DS: This software lets you play most of the Nintendo 3Ds games, except for the latest ones. Controls are customizable. And if you are a game developer, this emulator can be pretty useful for you. That is because your work results can be directly reviewed on your computer. This software is only compatible with Windows.
- NO$GBA: Originally a GameBoy emulator, NO$GBA has spread its arms to take Nintendo 3Ds too. It is under development, and the latest free version is 2.6. It can run almost all the homebrew and commercial Nintendo 3Ds games. For people that are willing to pay, the 2.6a version is also available. It is compatible with Windows, even Vista.
Best Nintendo 3Ds emulators for Android:
- Pretendo NDS: This is an emulator for Nintendo 3Ds that can be used on Android phones. It is pretty easy to download and install directly from the play store. With a pretty simple User Interface, it allows ROM, DS, 7z, and ZIP game files. The Rescan option on this application allows you to search in the storage of your device.
- DrasticDS: This is considered one of the best Nintendo 3Ds emulators on Android. The application is not free of cost, but it is worth all your money for the amazing graphic enhancements it provides the gamer. The screen size can also be customized based on your convenience. The app is always being updated. It is officially available at $5.99.
- NDS4Droid: It does show up in the list of best Nintendo 3Ds emulators wherever you look. It is an open-source platform, which implies that it is constantly updated and downloaded free of cost. The application also gives an immense smooth gameplay feel and can play almost all the 3Ds games. However, some games have a better feel than others on this application.
- NDSBoy: It is one of the newer emulators on the PlayStore. It has been downloaded over a million times from google’s store and has a good rating of 4.5. However, the reviews are mixed, and it cannot be called the best on the list for sure. As for the pros, it is free and is under development. It would let you play almost all games on your phone, provided you download the ROM files externally. But the cons are that you need to have a high-end phone for this app to function smoothly. It frequently crashes on low budget phones, and sometimes it would not even give any prior warnings.
Whether it is for android or PC, not all software or applications, come pre-equipped with ROM. This means that you have to download the ROM from other channels on the internet based on the games you like and load it on the emulator folder in your phone or laptop for ease of selection at later stages. Click on the ROM of your choice, and voila! You are ready to go.
These emulators have made it so easy for all of us to play the 3Ds games without having to spend too much, whenever and wherever we want to.